Monday, September 04, 2006

Having Said This

Morning, morning,
is coming about.
Let's rise and stir,
scream and shout!

Wee, wee. Excuse me and my rhyming, it is almost 6a.m. and I am barely awake. My lovely procrastination left me here and I am suffering it's wholeness.
My anger from two days ago has left me, but not without an appreciation for decency. Sometimes we tend to take politeness and etiquette for granted, but I see now how all these things are important. They are especially important for us to pass along; to our kids, to our brothers, sisters and so on. I figure it is not so much of etiquette (makes you think of table manners ei?) but rather knowing that there are limits and boundaries which one should not cross.
People have limits. I know I tend to forget this. But that's besides the point, I'm not talking about pushing the patience limit, I'm talking about politeness. To lie is one thing, but to be polite (for the sake of of the other person's feelings) is another. Nobody's asking you to conjure up big lies or make up stories when you know it's not true. No, I am asking you to be nice, to behave. I am asking you to mind your manners.
My knowledge concerning etiquette is limited. Yes, I believe my parents taught me proper table manners when I was 11, but I still have certain manners that are probably not all that acceptable. For example, I tend to talk while I'm eating. I know it's horrible, so I try to keep my mouth shut. Yes that is possible, thank you very much.
But from where I come from, these kind of things matter, and I am starting to learn why. Forgetting etiquette is forgivable, in my opinion. However, on to politeness. As I said, it IS important, and my parents never failed to harp on this. Say please, say thank you. Don't be rude. Yet, how can someone forget all this and do the exact opposite? This still baffles me really.
I know people who do not know how to say thank you, and this has pissed me off before. But again, in my head it is alright. Because in the end, they come to the realization by themselves. It is not my business to tell them.
But it is my business if this person is my brother. He has to know these things. I am proud to say that although he forgets sometimes, he is learning and I know he will turn out alright. He better.
Is it my business if this person is my friend? No, not really. But if this person has offended me in a major way, should I keep this information to myself?
When my judgment was clouded with emotion, I thought that this person should know. Thinking about it, I still feel the same way, however, I could still be affected.
And it wasn't so much about saying please or thank you. It was about crossing that invisible line that everybody knows is there.
You just don't say certain things. You should know by now.
Who is to blame, the parents? The person itself? Or the heat of the moment? In this case, I would say the moment however, it is certainly a poor excuse.
I would like to think better of this person, but these events have made this harder.
But who am I to judge.

Excuse me for the long post.
On a lighter note, Pay Less Books is having a Warehouse Sale and I am going to invade it this Friday. Can not wait. =)

Goodnight all.

1 comment:

Syar said...

warehouse sale? where??