Thursday, August 31, 2006

Pick One

Latest update on Mil's computer:
The Encarta Reference Library Premium (version 2005)!!
Yay! (?)
It has lovely references to short stories and tiny mentions (which I'm not so happy about!) of the feminist criticism. But that can be changed ei?
All thanks to an unwelcome guest staying at my house this week. He is leaving next Monday however, and the CD goes with him. Damn?

I just finished reading Sparks' Message in a Bottle, and this was done without any, I repeat, ANY tears. Even though it was quite tragic. His style of writing, sad to say in most of his books are quite cliche, it is not particularly gripping like, say Irving. The only reason I liked A Walk to Remember was because of the storyline. I think we all like to believe that a 17 year old boy could be changed by a girl. I think it is probably a fantast alot of us women have.
Even though we would never admit it.
It is a common fallacy when starting a relationship, to assume that the man will change, and only on the basis of his undying love for the girl. That, however, rarely happens. And it shouldn't happen anyway.
People should change for their own good, and not for anybody else. It doesn't work that way does it?

In the book, Garrett sounds likes such a fantasy. I guess he was for me because of how closely connected his life was to the ocean. He lived on the beachfront, was a diving instructor and was pretty much born and raised near the ocean. How exciting is that? How amazingly great is that? To wake up to the shounds of the waves, to have the perfect view whenever you wanted it?

It is no surprise then, that right now, I ache for the beach.
Once, a long time ago, when I was quite little, my family (my Grandma, my dad, and I believe my Mom, Luvesh wasn't around yet) took a trip to Penang. On the way there, my Grandma had a desire to meet with this priest, whom she had heard alot about, who could give accurate readings about a person.
Me, personally, I believe that these things should be taken with a grain of salt. What he said, or what anybody like him says is not the principle gospel of our lives.
So, it was not planned, but they decided that they wanted to hear a reading for me too, after they were done with themselves. Me being really little, could not rebel or form any sort of protest, I was probably just swinging my legs idly and annoying everybody with my childish restlessness.
I do not remember everything that Grandma talked about, but I remember something my Dad told me immediately after the reading was taken that haunts me with the hilarious irony of it all. The priest had accurately said that I love the water, meaning the oceans and all it's counterparts. However, he warned my Dad that it would be dangerous for me to go too deep into it. He advised my Dad to not let me go too deep into the ocean and stick to the shallow bits.

I remember being slightly miffed when my Dad told me this, but I must have forgotten all about it. Years later when I was at the beach, my Dad told me again, and I recall it now. If there ever was an irony of my life, that would be it.

Sometimes I ponder if the priest was talking about me in metaphorical terms. Don't let her go into the deep end.
He never said what would happen though.

However, I can't help but still be attracted to this natural wonder. How can one not be?
The beach is so appealing to me, that I could never imagine not wanting to go as far and away as possible to sink into its depths of mystified beauty.

No comments: