Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Jump

I want to talk about the crappy weather. But not before telling you about the jam. I want to bitch about the workload. And all this would lead to?... Nothing.
I don't even want to complain because I don't have a right. I have a theory- There are 6billion people (and counting) in the world, why talk about myself? That doesn't mean though that I don't do this. Everyone needs to have some form of catharsis, even private people.
It's 2am and I've got a whole highway ahead of me. It's lightweight though and I drive fast. wink.
I am currently reading Dreams of Sleep by Josephine Humphrey and already I have listed it as one of my favourite books. It is about how a woman silently watches her husband having an affair and how she reacts and everybody else involves reacts to it. Must say though, if I had to analyse this story using a theory I would definitely use feminist criticism, and there is no doubt about this. This is because that there is so many uses of patriarchal ideology in this book that I actually feel like I need to yell at the author. It is quite degrading, however I am quite sure that the author did this on purpose to make the story all the more believable. Guess what, it worked. It adds an almost extreme side to the man's character which is already quite extreme, in the sense of quite destructive behavior.
One thing I have to say, when reading Humphrey, I found myself comparing her to Roy. I was quite shocked as I never thought I would compare anybody to Roy. Humphrey's writing style is quite similar because both of them use alot of similes for descriptions, and they do it extremely well. I like how their similes are so comforting and familiar because they use everyday things that we encounter or used to encounter. Now that I come to think of it, their books are like a big warm blanket because they both have children in it, however the children in Roy's book play a bigger part. But children in general are comforting, no?
Another thing though, Humphrey's choice of words are not as shocking and truthful as Roy's, including the similes. Roy is brutal in that sense, she definitely crossed many boundaries in her book. Humphrey seems slightly more cautious and wants to break her news more gently to her readers. I can't wait to finish it and start on Wide Sargasso Sea. Miss Wei Lyn lent this book to me after I eyed it for a whole minute. Haha.
Wide Sargasso Sea looks promising because it is sort of a prequel to Jane Eyre. More on that later. I wonder though, if Humphrey made a sequel to Dreams of Sleep from the narrative of the Reese children.

I wonder.

1 comment:

Naveena said...

I see that the whole "compare and contrast lit works" by Miss Angela (or in the more recent case, Miss Anjali) has not left you! hehe.
How you doing, sweetie? good to see you updating on amore regular basis, now i can come here more often to kill time, since winter isn't giving me anything else to do.
btw, u missed a fe things out on ur friendster blog while giving the likn to this one. u just had a hunch it was blogger...
xoxo