Monday, July 10, 2006

Sweet Italian Victory

Time: 5.07a.m.
Occasion: 5-3, Italy won on a penalty shoot out.
What do people say-
Mom: "They're gloating like mad." (Duh, Mom!)
Dad: "Who cares, I lost money anyway." (Sore much?)
Me: ITALY!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe that I somehow woke up around 4, as if on clockwork, just in time to catch the extra time after the tie-in. To me it's funny because when sleep comes these days, I have a hard time waking up. Which is why I don't intend to sleep anymore, for today at least.

It's another kind of victory for me today, as minutes before sleep came to claim me, I finished Denial, by Peter James. I once said that I can tell when I really enjoy a book when I don't want it to end. However much I enjoyed this one, I didn't mind so much when it ended, only because Thomas Lamark was a scary guy. And what was discomforting for me to realize was that at the end of the story, he was still alive. Very much so, in a shut-in for the criminally insane. If he planned to die, it would have been appropriate, as he had already confessed his biggest secret, which I shall keep safe with me. It all made sense somehow, but it got me even more scared.
What was not so satisfying was the fact that Glen Branson took down Lamark and not Amanda Capstick or Michael Tennant. Capstick should have been the one to trick him into his downfall. Also, there were less mind games toward the end than I expected. If I were to compare this book to Psychopath by Keith Ablow, I would say that there was more teasing and psychological provoking in there than in Denial, which made the story all the more convincing. Even though James does a good job of convincing the readers that this guy is pretty messed up, in my personal opinion, he doesn't have a very convincing psychological profile on him, anywhere in the book. The confession was fantastic, mind-blowing enough to satisfy, but it was lacking some action there by the psychiatrist himself.

Anyway, still very much enjoyable for me, I haven't decided what to read next, but I can't wait to go and pick it out. Kudos to James! By the way, this book was set in London, so Mr. James is a Brit man, not American as firstly assumed.

Time: 5.21a.m.
Occasion: Italy still gloating
What do people say-
Mom: zzzzZZZZZZzzz
Dad: *eyes still glued to the screen*
Me: *has computer to herself* YES!
Me: zzzzZZZZZZzzzz

1 comment:

Lily said...

Mil! At last, you allowed comments on the blog! Yay, Italy won!

*muax* Me miss you...What time will you be in college tmw?