Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Graphic

Oh.My.
Should I not be surprised?! To reconfirm, I have been reading Denial, by Peter James, not Lee James. I have read a few books concerning incest relationships, but never before have I seen it described so vividly, or rather so openly. The psychopath (a very apt description of this man) in Denial is a classic example of emotional abuse from a parent. His mom (who dies early in the plot) is overprotective, overbearing due to her intense personality disorder. Her private logic is more than screwed up, and she passes this "knowldege" of hers to her son. It is very interesting to note how psychos are very intelligent, in almost every sense. This one not only listens to classical music but has an excellent dress sense. What makes him scarier is his complete lack of socialization. His one and only source of socialization was his mother. Then, it should not have been surprising to read that he desires a sexual partner who resembles his mother.

I had suspected that his mother probably used Thomas Lamark for sexual ploys-similar to the maniac in a book by Ablow (called Psychopath! haha!). And perhaps towards the end, or later on in the plot, this will be revealed completely. But the scene that really got to me, that had me running to the computer room to blog about it straight away was the scene where he is in a room with a prostitute. I shall not say what it is that he said, because if anybody happens to want to read this, I will be spoiling it for you. But it was shocking to read how he was so starved for his mother, even though he was put through crap. Denial indeed. Must go read the rest.

Right before the scene between the psychopath and the prostitute, there is a somewhat erotic (although slightly cheesy) part so the shocking scene sort of spoiled the vibe. But perhaps this effect was intended to portray how truly disturbing this man is. Socialization is very much important. He could not see how unreasonable his mothers' cognition really was without anybody else in the picture. I have a strong suspicion that his dad did not die in a plane crash. It is entirely possible that his mom was in denial as well.

Must also say that it is amusing to note that male authors who add in a love scene tend to comment or overemphasise on the size of the males' genitalia. Although amusing it is still quite sad as it just proves that however smart a man is, his male pride still concerns the size of his penis. Peter James could be insecure about his. That's my inference, hehe I could be wrong! But it's interesting to note anyway.

Excuse the rambling. If you happen to see the same thing, hit me with some feedback. We could start a little observation/experiment.

Farewell.

No comments: