Saturday, July 15, 2006

Road to Bumming

It has been a pleasant day. This is only because I didn't turn on the news yet. But that's ok, I'll have to face the music, the special effects and the (real) blood. All I have to do is think about how its worse for them, tenfold worse.
Watched Pirates of the Carribean 2 today. It has been a long time since I've been to the movies! It was fun, I watched it with bro.
Stats test and RM test two days ago, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. After that it was relaxing to just not do anything, something that I try not to do alot. But it is good once in awhile.
Friday was fun, we learnt Queer Criticism for Modern Lit, and I learnt that D.H. Lawrence is "undefined"( he's supposedly straight but his texts suggest otherwise). I cannot wait to read his work and analyse it. But I suppose now I would be looking out for his "queerness". Woopsie, bias biased.
Topic of interest, I watched Supersize Me on Thursday, a documentary about the evil that is McDonald's. To prove his point, Morgan (bravely) decided to go on a 30-day McDonald binge; McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There were several rules involved, one which I found rather interesting was: he would only Supersize it if he was asked to. For those of us who don't live in Mighty America, Supersize is probably double the Large that we have over here in Malaysia. It's grotesquely big and disgustingly hard to finish I should think! Now let's rewind- this guy gets to eat McDonalds all day everyday for a month? Sounds great! But only if you're an 8 year old or you happen to think like one.
Most of us are aware of how unhealthy it is to eat fast food, especially if its everyday. To me, if its once in awhile, it's alright.
So, what happened to Morgan? He put on weight (24 1/2 pounds), he started craving it, he was lethargic and depressive, his liver turned to almost 100% fat; he basically damaged his body really bad in those 30 days.
But I was thinking, and this might sound slightly far-fetched, but could he have already been biased about the cons of McDonalds food that he would have probably anticipated these horrible effects on his body? It can be argued that he was biased, but there was genuine phsyiological proof that his body was affected.
However, I could say that this is very much alike to placebos. The mind is a strong thing. If you imagine pain, it will be there. Again, how much pain can you ignore?
But, I have seen, read and heard about people miracalously recovering or surviving an awful event/happening that befalls them.
So, much like the way I anticipate D.H. Lawrences' queerness to be hinted in his work, could Morgan have imagined the way his body reacted, and then- his body actually reacted to it?
There's a phrase for this- self-fulfilling prophecy.
Hmmm, however this is certainly far-fetched as there was a big difference after the 30 days.
But anything is possible no?

I was thinking of something the other day. But I'm always thinking. Nyahahaha.
Phew, sweet relief.
Ahhhh.

No comments: