Saturday, December 23, 2006

Honkified

Here we are, yet again, at a loss for words. Futile promises to finish my story are fruitless indeed.

So much has happened since Wednesday but I'm glad it's all over. Really glad.
I have a new appreciation for the powers that may be. There is something up there, watching over us ungrateful fellas. Trust me on that.

How is Honky-town, you might ask? It is great, actually, thank you. I'm just a tiny bit afraid that I've adjusted to the dress codes so well. I have to say, I am totally honkified. Here is a checklist.

1. I have started carrying three different kinds of lip balm. Just in case.
2. I also keep stock of moisturiser.
3. I have a proper handbag now. Yes, begin the weeping.
4. I actually keep my legs crossed when sitting down.
5. I have boots that are sexy as hell but hurt like a bitch. My toes hate me now.
6. I bump into people regularly and manage to hold a decent conversation that only constitutes of small talk. But small talk is never decent, no?
7. I am starting to enjoy the way my bum freezes over when I take a seat outdoors.
8.I am starting to enjoy the way I freeze over when I am outdoors.
9.I am starting to enjoy the freeze.
10. I eat like a pig but still look like a horse. As far as my eyes can tell.

If you're smart then you'll figure out that the above crap was a way for me to chunk away at what I'm actually feeling.
If you're smart then you'll figure out that I don't know what I'm feeling.

Perhaps the best word is lost.
Us KL people call ourselves city people, but we're not even close. People here are truly hustling their lives away. All I see are rich people hurrying from one place to another.
I can't lie, I love the atmosphere here and the glamour of all the high-end life. I am being treated well because I'm lucky to live with people who can afford it.
But their lives make me sad. Inexplicably sad. Sometimes when I watch them, a small part of me withers and dies, a miniscule portion of my soul becomes hollow and empty. But then I remember that my life is nothing like that, and I hope that it won't ever be like that.
They have everything. Fast car, check. Beautiful house, check. Wads and wads of money, check. Shiny gadgets, check. Expensive handbags, check. Even more expensive wife, check. Bratty children, check.

But they don't have time.
Today I heard the saddest thing.
" I have lived in Hong Kong for more than 20 years, and not once have I taken a walk on the harbour. "
The harbour is basically the jetty, where you can see the skyline and get the whole fantastic view. And a man I know has never gotten a proper glimpse of this because he just can't get away from his job.
This man I know has never gotten a proper glimpse at his family either.

Kids, whatever you do, be good parents. Don't screw your child up. There are ripple effects. The whole world gets hurt.

I'll be back to normal tomorrow. I'm done preaching for today. Actually, I'm not, but it's not the same without my loyal audience.

I got cool souvenirs though! For ALL of you!


p/s- I will read this post next week and wonder why I sounded so emo. Then I will cover my face with my hands and remember that I actually have a choice of posting this up. Then I will groan out loud when I realize that I willingly decided to put this emo piece up.
But I'm trying not to regret what I do.
All in all, this post can't be that embarassing.
Toodles. I'll bring Mil back tomorrow, promise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss youuuuu.
come back fast !
i want my souvenirs.
hahaha.

love you loads.
~payal~

Anonymous said...

"But they don't have time.
Today I heard the saddest thing.
" I have lived in Hong Kong for more than 20 years, and not once have I taken a walk on the harbour. ""

Christ... That's the thing, isn't it? This hit me really, really hard. Everyone tells me that in the Advertising and PR industry (my majors, as you know), you'll be working almost every minute and second of your life. So maybe I'll end up like that too. It fucking terrifies me, you know? I don't know what I want to do now... or CAN do. siiighh... I apologize for this depressing post.

-anxious clove-smoking wannabe writer

Anonymous said...

yeah tell me abt it...it's sad but it's happening. which is why, if life deals me a good set of cards in my 20s, i'm gonna make all the big bucks i can so i dont hv to worry abt working when my kids come along....and perhaps i might hv to find a rich fella- just in case!

and as for number 10, honey for as long as i've known you, you've ALWAYS pigged out- you and me BOTH! think, lit class =)

loe u, babes!

Anonymous said...

oops, meant to say love