Monday, June 11, 2007

It Can Burn

Aloha.

It is going to rain soon and my selfish bed calls to me again. The moron won't leave me alone. Excuse the swearing, I'm not so chirpy today. I just got rejected twice in the span of three days. I ain't talking about people, I'm talking about the mean, big, ugly thing called UNI. Universities, college, money-sucking institutes, yes that's the one. Safe to say I am not leaving in July, so back-up plan has gone down the drain.

If I may start at the beginning, my original plan was to apply for Curtin, Perth for the February 2008 intake, but while in the midst of applying, I thought I could send in an application for Murdoch, Perth as well for the July 2007 intake. In one day, my world tipped over a bit, because I was full of What If's? What if I actually get accepted into Murdoch? July. That's like, less than two months (at that time). In fact, I was reassured, even, that I would not have a problem getting in even though not all of my subjects met the grade requirements. However, it turned out to be exactly that. My grades were the problem. I didn't think I'd be very affected, but it's a bit scary to be turned down. The brain get's a little schizophrenic and you start to wonder if anybody will take you in (even though you're paying them a trillion dollars for one measly degree that doesn't even guarantee you one measly job because apparently now they look for "experience" too).

Excuse the bitterness, but it's not very hard to be pessimistic about the whole college thing. There are no guarantees, people, we're all just taking a risk here. But don't worry, we're all in this together (if that doesn't make you feel any better, I apologize if I depressed you to no end and you burst out crying while you think about the uncertain future that lies ahead of you).

BUT, having said all that, we should all just be inifinitely grateful that we even have the opportunity to get a tertiary education. Let's take a moment shall we?

Moving on to the generality that is life, I am done with my Music Exams and it feels really weird not to be worrying about thrills and semiquavers. After it was over,I couldn't believe it actually was completely over. I felt like I had spent a few years trying to perfect my Bach and Scarlatti, instead of just a couple of rushed, panicked months of practicing. However (there's always one in my stories), Miss Ellen has agreed to let me continue with her and I shall be learning more classical music( all the pretty little things I just love- Beethoven, Debussy, Ravel etc) under her wing until I leave.

Also, Mom's party was just perfect despite the awful, last-minute planning that went on. She had absolutely no friggin' idea, and that is why it was just lovely. I have a video and the expression is absolutely priceless. Plus, everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves and I'm afraid Mom's 40th is going to be the talk of the town for awhile. This makes me very uncomfortable. Sindhi limelights are the worst. Oh well.

A piece of advice for anyone feeling stale with life. Do something new or do something you haven't done in a long time. Here are a few suggestions. Trust me on this, it makes you see things in a different light and that is always nice, no?

1. If you drive everywhere, try not driving for a whole day (or, if not possible; try a couple of hours) and commute using public transport or your own two feet. Yes, walk my dearies, it is fun, no matter what kind of lungs you have. Makes you feel younger, or if not, then much lighter.

2. If you have not watched a movie in a long time, or read a book (or have not had entertainment, basically) do just that. If possible, pick something that you have not seen or read before. Some things can inspire.

3. Try cooking. Anything. Like Payal said, it can feel like an accomplishment (I would not friggin' know I suppose).

4. Walk around a mall and people watch OR sit in Starbucks and people watch. It makes you wonder.

5. Spend a significant amount of time singing your favourite songs. Makes you fly. Like really really high.

6. Clean your room. Seriously. Throw all the junk you hoard, and I mean ALL. Makes you fly too.

7. When eating out, pick someplace new or someplace that you have always wanted to try but just couldn't because you just have to eat at McDonald's or Burger King again. This one really works too.

8. For one whole day, try not to plan ahead. I know some of you really can't do this, but just make an attempt. Just see what happens.

9. Go to Toys R Us and buy the small bottle of bubbles they have and blow away. Bubbles are so silly but so pretty, no? Makes you feel young (boy, do we need that).

10. If you have not dressed up in awhile, or have not worn something that you know makes you look good, do it. Makes you feel like Austin Powers. Or er...whoever.

You have probably seen almost all, or all of the above in a magazine or even tried it out yourself, but maybe you haven't tried it because I can see you look at me so full of skepticism. But do it. Even if you already have.

Much love to everyone.

-4 more weeks-

2 comments:

Lily said...

Wheeee....Now, I can fly!

Syar said...

You're telling people to clean their rooms? What the heck has gotten into you??

Meh, I'm already depressed about the whole uni thing. Damn decisions. I haven't even let myself think about not getting accepted. Hot damn, that would do me in for sure. I'd just succumb to my hobo destiny and hit the railroad tracks.

Gawd. I hate the future.