Monday, February 19, 2007

Small thing

Hello all. The little man ain't sleepin' yet and it's 3.58am. Before I get any yelling, let me just say that I had more than enough sleep today, so I think it's justifiable that I'm still cheerfully awake. Well, I don't know how cheerful, seeing as I'm alone in my room and I can't test out my cheerfulness, but you get it.

About the whole Valentines Day being overrated thing, enough is enough. Yes, everybody knows that items are ridiculously overpriced and fancy restaurants become a no-no for those with hole in their pockets, but so what?
So you wanna pamper the one you love, so what? Let them do it, for Pete's sake. I don't condone buying things to show your love, but it doesn't kill you either. Yes, it's the thought that counts, of course it is, but admit it already. A tiny part of you rejoices at the mere thought of going somewhere expensive for dinner. A small part of your being yearns to get beautiful flowers from your special someone. And why the hell not? It's nice. I'm not going to pretend that I don't like it.

Yes, of course these things shouldn't only occur on Valentines Day, I get that too, but if it does, so be it.

It's easier said than done to wave away the luxuries, it's another thing to not stare wistfully at it. Let me tell you something. I spent a good portion of my life without it. And I'm absolutely fine. But when I was able to experience it, I liked it. I liked being pampered. I liked being spoilt silly .
Call it whatever you like: materialistic, gold-digger etc. I'm not saying that I expect it all the time, or if it doesn't happen, I'll be absolutely crushed. I'm just saying I find it really nice. So spending a ludicrous amount of money on Valentines Day (or any regular day) ain't no sin to me.

Having said that, these are the small, teeny things in life that make almost no difference. If I had a lover who took me out to a fancy dinner but couldn't even be there for me when I needed him, then I'd be crushed. Those are the big things in life. Okay, people?

Go indulge and list all the lovely small things you like.
Wee.

2 comments:

Su-Lyn said...

I prefer dark chocolate to roses any time. :P

Anonymous said...

inspite of being essentially bullshit...i still enjoyed reading your posts...

~someone~