Monday, October 01, 2007

Couldn't Keep It To Myself

After two years of having purchased the book, I finally finished it and I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner. Wally Lamb(ed)and the Women of York Correctional Institution: Couldn't Keep It To Myself. To state that it is an eye-opener is a gross understatement. I have never cried so hard while reading a book and after, seriously,and trust me I am the kind who cries with most books and movies, even before the person gets killed off the storyline. Oh I cried, and I wept, but I challenge you to read the book and remain dry-eyed. Even the most stoic of you will be bawling, I am willing to bet this and why, you ask? Simply because the women's stories are so raw, so real and at the same time so ghastly that you almost want to stop reading. Nevermind if you cry or not, just read it, seriously. Ever single complaint you ever made will seem completely redundant when you read this. It is altogether a humbing experience and I was compelled to stand up straight and salute these women; these are the real fighters.

Us women have come a long way, but this book clearly shows that we have so much more left. So let's not ever stop, just like these women. We are lucky that we don't have to be scared in our own homes, that we have somewhat normal lives and that we have the freedom to do as we wish. These women learnt their lessons but some of them are still incarcerated. So while they're still in there, let's speak for them, and the million others who have to be quiet about their slowly unraveling insanity.

Hurry up and read it, seriously.

No comments: